Getting Out Of A Spiritual Slump (1)

Hand raised in worship
As soon as they began singing...
2 Chronicles 20:22

Here's a simple but effective formula for handling a spiritual slump. Praise your way out! David starts Psalm 22 by asking, 'God, why have You forsaken me?' and ends it saying, '...You... dwell... [where]... praises... [are offered]' (Psalm 22:3 AMP). You won't always feel like praising God - that's why it's called '...the sacrifice of praise...' (Hebrews 13:15). But when you're in a slump you need the discipline of praise more than ever. It brings a sense of God's power and presence like nothing else does. That's why the Psalmist wrote, 'I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth' (Psalm 34:1). By praising God in advance for the victory, you open a channel for Him to intervene in your circumstances, hope rises in your soul, and it's impossible to stay down and defeated. 

And praise fits every personality, so you've no excuse! You can clap and shout (Psalm 47:1), use music and dance (Psalm 150:4), sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs (Ephesians 5:19-20), make a joyful noise (Psalm 98:4), lift your hands (Psalm 134:2), be still before God (Psalm 4:3-5), and you can even be loud! (Psalm 33:3, 95:1-6). Your praises thwart the enemy's best-laid plan! When the Israelites were outnumbered, they prayed and God told them the battle was His and that He would do the fighting. Judah (which means 'praise') went out ahead of the army, and 'As soon as they began singing, the Lord confused the enemy... and... they turned against each other'. The minute you start praising God He releases His power to start working on your behalf.


Used with permission from UCB Word for Today. Free issues are available here for the UK and Republic of Ireland.

Comments

Steve said…
Thank you for this encouraging message...
ChrisJ said…
I am by nature a negative thinker even from a child. I really have to work at praise and thanksgiving. You'd think by now that I'd have changed that way of thinking. (Not negative thinking about God -- but me!
Lynda Alsford said…
Thanks for this. As a result of reading it I am sitting here with my favourite praise music playing and getting uplifted and strengthened.

God bless
Lynda Alsford said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
duopastorale said…
That's great Lynda! There is a power in praise. I know it, but often need encouragement to do it! Blessings :)
photowannabe said…
The funk is inward but the praise is outward.
When I stop thinking about myself I feel better. Sometimes its hard to do but God is doing a work in me and I praise Him.
deena said…
Very uplifting.I love singing hymns of praises to Him- even when I feel dispirited, downhearted or anxious-Because He promises blessings,delivers us from fear,shows us goodness and supplies our needs

Popular Posts