Become God's Friend

Jacob wrestled the angel
I have called you friends
John 15:15

David desired to know God above all else. He used words like longing, yearning, thirsting and hungering. 'I ask only one thing of the Lord. This is what I want: Let me live in the Lord's house all my life.' (Psalm 27:4 NCV). Again he said, 'Your love means more than life to me...' (Psalm 63:3 CEV). Jacob's desire was so intense that he wrestled with God all night, saying, '..."I will not let you go unless you bless me"' (Genesis 32:26 NIV). And the amazing thing is, God, who is all powerful, let Jacob win. Why? Because wrestling requires personal contact; it brings us close to Him. 

Paul was another man who was passionate about his friendship with God. '...[My determined purpose is]... [that I may... become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him]...' (Philippians 3:10 AMP). You say, 'I'd like to have a closer relationship with God, but I'm so busy.' The truth is, you are as close to God as you desire and discipline yourself to be! Friendship with God must become your passion. You must intentionally seek it. That means answering questions like, 'Do I value it more than anything else? Is it worth giving up other things for? Is it worth developing the habits and skills required? Am I willing to say, 'Lord, more than anything else, I want to know You'?' God's answer to that prayer has always been: '..."When you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed"' (Jeremiah 29:13-14 TM). 

Used with permission from UCB Word for Today. Free issues are available here for the UK and Republic of Ireland.

Comments

Steve said…
Another thought provoking word. Few of us really desire God to this degree. We'd rather be doing than being but it's only by being (i.e. in the presence of God) that we acquire the strength, wisdom and knowledge to be really effective for Him.
deena said…
I love verse Genesis 32:26.I tend to quote it at times when I pray.The hymn 'What a friend we have in Jesus is also my old favourite- sums it all for me.

Popular Posts