Never Betray A Confidence

"Consternation" or "When you ta...Image by dhammza via Flickr
...he who is of a faithful spirit conceals a matter. 
Proverbs 11:13

We all need a shoulder to cry on. When we're battling habits and hang-ups we need a safe place to go, confident we'll be loved, understood, supported and prayed for. If those who are hurting can't find these qualities in church, where are they supposed to go? The betrayal of a confidence is a terrible sin. 'But what I said was true,' you object. So what? 'A talebearer reveals secrets, but he who is of a faithful spirit conceals a matter.'(Proverbs 11:13 NKJV) Note the words 'reveals' and 'conceals.' 

The Hippocratic Oath says: 'Whatsoever I shall see or hear in the course of my profession, I will never divulge, holding such things to be holy secrets.' That oath is taken by physicians and other professionals in positions of trust. But it ought to be binding on every one of us! How would you feel if your doctor, counsellor, minister or a trusted friend violated your confidence and broadcast your holy secrets? Hurt? Betrayed? The longer we live the more we realise there's a severe shortage of people who can be trusted to keep their mouths shut, and the more we value them. If you were asked to define a person of integrity, wouldn't the ability to keep a confidence be close to the top of your list? So here are some ground rules to live by: a) Instead of talking, pray about it; b) Instead of criticising, look for something good; c) Instead of showing anger, show grace. How you handle others determines how God will handle you!

Used with permission from UCB Word for Today. Free issues are available here for the UK and Republic of Ireland.

Comments

duopastorale said…
This is one of the hardest things to do! To keep a confidence and not be tempted to 'share a thing for prayer' is vital if we want people to feel safe in confiding in us. Unfortunately the church is not always the best place to share struggles because there always seems to be a 'good reason' to betray confidences. But it affects and destroys friendships. May I be one who can carry others burdens silently.
lioneagle said…
Hi Mike -

How right you are. Indeed you gave the wisdom that is so much needed!
Steve said…
Thanks for this.
Pietro Brosio said…
A, b, c: excellent rules indeed.
Overcoming soul said…
HMMMMMM What can is ay??? Well what about when leadership betray your confidences about past prayer request or seeking to find ways to deal with things in a Godly way. Or maybe a testimony you gave that at the time you did not feel confident about sharing with the whole congregation. All in an attempt to protect someone else who had wrong you But is till sit waiting for the Lord not saying anything about the wrong. or anything about the leader who broke the past confidences. i am really upset about the testimony being shared because i specifically told this person i would not share with others but i felt i could trust her. Then the head pastor used it in his sermon. Well at least my name was not mention . They did not said the part where Jesus came in neither but said this person is hurting ummmmm now I am. But I am forgiving and forgiving again. it is all sad. Then i am asking because I am a prayer intercessor I have value and prided myself on keeping some really major secrets. they were not my business to say. But this has been a huge thing with me with others. I know i hear how others go and say pray for so and so use prayer to spread gossip. I would not do this. I only ask for prayers for others when i have their permission i only ask to prayer for those thigns they said i could share. But then again the Lord is good. He does turn things to our good. So when someone comes to me I see them struggling with sharing because others have wrong them in this way I will better be able to relate to them who knows maybe i wills ave someone from walking away from the church. Cause i knwo it sure feels like that to me like why am I going and ministering and volunteerring in my church when I have noone there I can trust to go with my struggles to ask to prayer or noone to go share my testimony to praise with or noone to trust. Not even the head. Then again I know not the while body is like that just waiting for God to release me I pray I am release and able to walk away without disruption but quietly leaving the church intact and being able to connected with those who I ministering to or who have show me a kindness

Popular Posts