Sacred And Secular

LONDON - MARCH 07:  Royal Philharmonic Orchest...Image by Getty Images via Daylife

Last night I attended a concert and heard a friend performing in an amazing Handel cantata. It has been some years since I have seen her, and I was amazed at how she now plays the violin with such confidence and dexterity. Later as we chatted, she talked with great enthusiasm about the project she was involved in and it was clear that this was her life's passion. And then she added, referring to her Christian witness, 'but I often wonder how much difference I'm making'. It was said with a tinge of regret and a distinct lack of confidence. I thought this was very sad.

Recently my thoughts have been very much taken up with how I reconcile the sacred and secular in my personal life, with particular reference to music. It is always so much easier to put the different aspects of my life into boxes. Here is the music I worship with, and here is the other stuff, which God allows me in certain doses. But I am coming to see after many years that the lines are much more grey than that. It's more about who I am, and what He created me to be that is worship. I love music, and when I am involved in producing good music, my life changes. I become more hopeful, positive, forward looking, and when I am starved of such experience something feels badly missing. To me that signals something God-given and intended. And yet I struggle with channeling that experience into something that also feels Spirit filled.

I found this great article which I found helpful, containing the following:

We usually think of the work of pastors and missionaries as sacred work, but if we work out of a desire to serve God and others, our “secular” work also becomes a sacred activity. Actually there is no distinction between sacred and secular in Scripture. All of life relates to God, and He desires that we live in a way that honors and pleases Him in every aspect of our lives – at work, in church, in our families, and in all other relationships...

I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences...

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Comments

Abbey's Road said…
Oh I agree with that article 100%! God is there in all ways, in all paths of life.

Blessings,
Abbey
kc bob said…
Amen that for me Mike - there is no distinction between sacred and secular in Scripture. When we love our neighbor we are participating in the most sacred human act. I love what Mother Teresa said:

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

It is love that turns the secular into the sacred.. when we love we are most like God.
Steve said…
Thanks for this reminder that all our lives should be lived in honour and praise of God.
Pietro Brosio said…
It's true: we have to please God in every aspect of our lives, I would say even in politics.
SandyCarlson said…
Your post brings to mind Psalm 24
Sidharth said…
Amen, couldn't agree more! Love this post Mike! You write so well.
Barbara said…
Dividing the 2 are Greek mindsets. All scripture was meant to be understood through the Hebrew mindset which does not divide the 2. For Christians all life is lived in and through Christ as he lives in and through us. His Life manifest in all that we do.

Popular Posts