Forgiven & Healed

Expression of freedomImage by Rosh PR via Flickr

If I am guilty—woe to me! Even if I am innocent, I cannot lift my head, for I am full of shame and drowned in my affliction...Do not be afraid; you will not suffer shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood.
Job 10:15 Isaiah 54:4

“He died to take away all our guilt and shame”, are words we hear often in our communion service. This morning I was encouraged to stop and think about this amazing truth. We may find it relatively easy to confess the guilt of our wrongdoing and receive forgiveness, with the grace to put our sins behind us, but the shame that we often carry can silently sit in the bottom of our souls, clinging to us and affecting every breathing moment. Our sins speak to us of what we have done, whereas our shame changes the way we think about ourselves, the result of our own sin or the sin committed against us, perhaps through simple putdowns from the past or more serious abuses.

Last night in our service, we were asked, “what does the Kingdom of God mean to you?” For me, it is ultimately about freedom. I believe that Jesus came to set me free to be who He created me to be. And yet again I feel the Spirit showing me how I am bound, even by that shame that holds me back. But the light of His Spirit shines into our darkness that we might see and bring all to the cross where all our guilt and shame will ultimately be forgiven and healed.

Comments

Gudl said…
Yes, this a wonderful truth about our faith and God.
Anonymous said…
So true. I too have been thinking about shame. I was thinking about the tendency to blame others and be defensive and wondered what the source of that might be. I have a feeling that it is related to shame, or rather, the avoidance of shame. Good words of truth to weave into these meandering thoughts! :)
Pietro Brosio said…
I agree. The last sentence is the synthesis of a Great Truth.
This was a wonderful reflection. Much like Isaiah, Pope John Paul II always encouraged us to "Be not afraid." There is much consolation in these words, for we can believe and trust that knowing this we will be showered in grace and compassion of a Father who loves us, a Brother who supports us and a Spirit that gives us the courage to endure! Thank you, Mike. Cathy
Steve said…
Thanks again for your thoughts....
deena said…
Our God is an awesome God.He definitely takes away our sins and shame when we confess them and remembers them no more. Our hope and confidence is in Him.
Wanda said…
Wonderful devotion, Mike. To be forgiven and healed...to have the freedom from the bondage of sin.

Thanks Mike.... This is what the world needs.


BTW I love Mary did you know!!!
Most beautiful song.

Popular Posts