The Voice of Music

Photo:Per Hardestam

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.
Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully, and shout for joy.
Psalm 33:2-3

The BBC Proms have begun! For me, that means that the summer has arrived, the season of music festivals. We are already on the 5th concert of 72, ending in enthusiastic renditions of Parry's Jerusalem, along with flag waving and party poppers.

The Proms is a celebration of music, and music is a gift from God. At the second prom on Saturday evening, Sir Richard Attenborough said in his speech that if he had to survive with only one of the arts, he would always choose music.

Music powerfully touches the spirit, and opens the heart to God. In my early twenties, when I was particularly anxious about continuing to hear God's voice, God clearly said to me, "I will always speak to you through music". With the musical themes running through Revelation it has occurred to me that this promise is for now and all eternity.

Comments

Popular Posts